It’s that kind of day today. I was hoping for a blizzard, but we were not to be so lucky. Instead, we have a raw, damp, very November kind of day with intermittent half-assed snow flurries. It sucks.
I got to be the cool music-knowing kid at the bookstore today, when while purchasing The Arcade Fire’s CD, the clerk began asking me questions about them. I answered as best I could, recommended a few songs she should download from iTunes to get an idea of the sound, and she was all like thanks! I can’t wait to check them out!
It’s weird, because around here I sometimes get to be the cool music-knowing kid, but almost all of my cool music knowledge comes from friends in other, larger cities, where my musical knowledge makes me no better than a top-40-only high school sophomore. I got into The Arcade Fire, for example, because of Alberto’s recommendation (and thank you for that!). Come to think of it, most of my favorite music is stuff I picked up because of the influence of people in my life. But I don’t know, maybe we’re all that way. Here are some examples:
- I got into most of the classic rock I like – Steely Dan, The Who, The Doors, Yes, Supertramp, and others – from my parents, but mostly my dad.
- I like Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Fleetwood Mac, Simon & Garfunkel, Joan Baez, and others because of my parents, but mostly my mom (unsurprisingly, she’s the folksier of the two).
- Joe Jackson, Aimee Mann, and The Police are in my life for good mostly because of my friend Frank, along with a handful of songs from the 70s and 80s that I got into because of his influence.
- Gavin DeGraw, Maroon 5, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, and a few other current pop artists are due to Ginny thrusting her tastes upon me, although sometimes my other sisters have been involved with that as well.
- I like Ben Folds Five, Jeff Buckley, Mae Moore, and the hard-to-find Howard Jones album Live Acoustic America because of my freshman year roommate.
- I’m down with Grandaddy and Interpol because of Mike, Blue October and Damien Rice because of Jen, and The Dandy Warhols and The Arcade Fire because of Alberto.
And then there are, of course, a million other songs/bands that I’ve picked up along the way, through friends and articles and websites and, once in a while, the radio. I collect musical tastes like I collect accents – at random, mostly from other people. But the accent thing is a post for another day.
My hands are cold.